The Department of Agriculture offers doctoral studies leading to a Doctoral Degree (Ph.D. equivalent) in the field of Agronomy and related disciplines. Doctoral studies aim at pursuing high-quality and up-to-date scientific research, as well as training scientists capable of contributing to the advancement and progress of science and research in the field of Agronomy.
Doctoral degree holders are qualified to occupy high-level research, business, and educational positions in Greece and internationally. At the same time, the doctoral program is a source of academic excellence and international academic distinction for the Department, as well as for the University in general, which contributes to the qualitative and quantitative advancement of research in cutting-edge areas of Agronomy and Agriculture.
Eligible Doctoral (Ph.D.) candidates should hold:
- Diploma or Degree of Agronomy awarded by national or international accredited foreign institutions and a) Integrated Master under article 46 of Law 4485/2017 (section a), or b) Postgraduate Degree (M.Sc.) awarded by national or international accredited foreign institutions in disciplines related to the subjects and scientific areas of theDepartment.
- University Diploma or Degree (University or T.E.I.) awarded by national or international accredited foreign institutions and a) Integrated Master under article 46 of Law 4485/2017 (section a), or b) Postgraduate Degree (M.Sc.) awarded by national or international accredited foreign institutions in disciplines related to the subjects and scientific areas of theDepartment.
Diplomas/Degrees awarded by international accredited foreign institutions must be recognized as equivalent to the Greek ones by the Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Center (N.A.R.I.C./Δ.Ο.Α.Τ.Α.Π.).
Prospective applicants may consider contacting the faculty member(s) that they wish to supervise their thesis and reaching a preliminary agreement with them before application.
Applications are accepted following the issuing of a relative call (invitation of expression of interest).
Candidate Ph.D. students should complete an application form (attached in the website) and submit it to the Registrar’s Office with:
- A copy of the candidate’s IDcard.
- A detailed recentCV.
- The name of the thesis advisor and the title of the proposed Ph.D. thesis. The thesis writing language (Greek or English) should be alsomentioned.
- A Ph.D. thesis proposal both in English and in Greek language with a) a brief description of the subject and the thesis originality, b) the aim and objectives of the study, c) a proposed research methodology, d) an overview of the relevant scientific literature.
- Copies of Diplomas/Degrees awarded by national or international accredited foreign institutions (undergraduate and postgraduateones).
- Copies of Diploma/Degree and master’s dissertation thesis (submitted electronically).
- Language certificate proving sufficient knowledge of at least one European Official Language (preferablyEnglish).
- At least two recommendation letters are provided by professors and/or researchers who have had first-hand knowledge of the applicant’saccomplishments.
- A transcript of the academic record for each Diploma/Degree (undergraduate and postgraduateones).
- Any other certificates or documents, which may substantially contribute to the application (i.e. scientific projects, scientific publicationsetc.)
Applications are evaluated on a merit-only basis by an admissions committee and accepted/rejected by the Departmental Assembly. Applicants are asked to an interview before admission.
The duration of doctoral studies cannot be less than three (3) and no more than six (6) calendar years, counting from the date of the assignment of the advisory committee.
One-year extension time could be granted after justification by the advisory committee, followed also by a detailed timetable for completion within this period.
Should more information required, please contact the Registrar’s Office, Department of Agriculture, tel: (+30) 26220 39001-2, e-mail: or visit the Department’s website: http://agriculture.upatras.gr/